CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Review: Hearts At Stake by Alyxandra Harvey


Title Hearts At Stake
Author: Alyxandra Harvey
Pages: 256
Website: www.thedrakechronicles.com


About the book:

Solange Drake always knew she was destined to become a vampire queen. And as the only female vampire ever born, not made, she is surrounded by danger on all sides-from vampire suitors who want to join with her lineage to bounty hunters who are set on destroying her and her family. When she is kidnapped, it's up to her older brother Nicholas and her human best friend, Lucy, to save her. But can Lucy save herself from Nicholas, who tempts her with his every look? And what will be Solange's own fate if she surrenders her heart to the vampire hunter helping her survive the deadly intrigue at the royal court?

Review:


Although I felt that this book could have been more than it was (longer, more fleshed out), I REALLY enjoyed it Hearts At Stake for a lot of reasons.

*Lucy already has intimate knowledge of the Drake family being vampires, and she already knows of the royal court and some of the proceedings. That in my book, is a big plus. I'm not sure I can stand another book with 10 pages devoted to 'history lessons' written as (boring) dialogue.


*The book is written by split points of view: Both Solange and Lucy get a turn guiding the story. Better still, both girls are strong characters. Both girls can kick butt, and also have great comebacks and I didn't feel that one completely dominated any part of the book, as often is the case when you have two leading ladies. I did find myself excited waiting for Lucy's turn to tell the story but that is only because...

*Lucy and Nicholas are HOT!!! The romance and tension between the pair was totally swoon-worthy without being over the top unbelievable. Nicholas had some great romantic lines. I can see him creeping into YA readers hearts as a new heartthrob character crush. I do not feel I know enough about Solange and Kieran's relationship to comment properly, but it looks like they will get their romantic momentum going in the next book.

Bottom line; Hearts At Stake was a very enjoyable, perfect guilty pleasure read. I devoured it in a matter of hours and am now counting the days until the release of Blood Feud, The Drake Chronicles book 2.

Rating: 3.5/5

1 comments:

Christina T said...

I am on the waiting list at my library for this one. I'm glad it is getting such good reviews.

Related Posts with Thumbnails